Click on the following links to see discussions of these topics
About Our Sports Psychology Coaching
The Mental Game Coach, Bill Cole, MS, MA, provides sports
psychology coaching services to athletes, coaches and parents, to
help them navigate the learning curve, pressures and pitfalls of
In his role as mental game advisor, he provides guidance in building
a mentally tough, peak performance mind tool-kit that top-performing
champions possess. In learning these mental lessons. He acts as
a teacher, motivator and mentor. The sport psychology training relationship
is a collaborative, confidential, professional one that supports
clients in reaching more of their sports performance potential.
You want a sport psychology coach with a world-class background
and a proven track record in helping people master the mental game
at the highest national and international levels. You also want
that person to "know what you are experiencing" from having personally
been a top competitive athlete and coach. You can expect quick,
yet lasting results like these:
- Learn how to psych up for every practice, coaching session
- Make mental toughness a strength in your sports performance.
- Stop mentally beating yourself up and self-destructing when
you perform below expectations.
- Know how to get into the performance zone, naturally and easily,
- Handle the dreaded mind games opponents launch at critical
- Reach new levels of performance. Stop blowing leads.
- Transfer lessons learned in sport to the rest of your life
Bill's Sports Psychology Coaching Has 13 Key Helpful Features To
Boost Your Confidence:
- Assessment of your current sport psychology skills.
- Review of and suggestions for upcoming competitions.
- A deep and extensive level of analysis and feedback about your
- Proprietary, detailed checklists that help you become aware
of yourself as an athlete.
- Worksheets and exercises that bring the concepts Bill teaches
- Coaching for your upcoming competition.
- Help you overcome performance issues such as fear and low confidence.
- Show-You-How-To-Practice sessions.
- Advice on managing yourself under pressure.
- Dress rehearsals of competitions.
- Review of your past competitions.
- Create custom pre-game mental routines.
- Post-game reviews and follow-up.
Bill has coached individuals and teams from Saratoga, Los Gatos,
Campbell, Cupertino, Palo Alto, Almaden Valley, Santa Cruz, Los
Altos, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Mountain View, Santa Clara,
Sunnyvale, and many other locations in the San Francisco Bay area,
Silicon Valley, and around the United States.
You can come to us, or we can come to you. We can also work virtually.
We also regularly consult with clients by phone and email from countries
around the world, such as England, Portugal, Australia, Mexico,
China, Canada, Israel and South Africa.
Free Mental Game Of Sports Assessment
Take this assessment to discover what's holding you back from
playing your best. We are making this valuable 65-question assessment
tool available to you at no charge to assist you in determining
what is getting in the way of your performing to your full potential
in your sport. It will help you discover your strengths and weaknesses
and provide you with a quick overview of where you stand with your
After you fill out the form, you should print this for your own
use and for future reference, then click the Submit button to send
the Assessment to Bill Cole.
Take this free Mental
Game of Sports Assessment now.
Sports Psychology Coaching Packages
The Cole Mental Game of
Sports Assessment Tool (CMGSAT)
This proprietary educational sport psychology assessment will provide
you with a comprehensive, in-depth picture of your sport psychology
skills and abilities. You have two options. You may purchase the
300-question Cole Mental Game of Sports Assessment Tool (CMGSAT)
for $150, or combine this assessment instrument with a one-hour
sport psychology review and coaching session with Bill Cole, CEO
of William B. Cole Consultants for $250. Learn more about the CMGSAT.
We email you our proprietary 300-question Cole Mental Game of
Sports Assessment Tool (CMGSAT) as a PDF. You take the assessment,
and score it yourself. The test is yours to keep and to retake again
and again to see your improvement over time as you progress in your
sport. Learn more about the CMGSAT
Assessment Only or order
And Coaching Package
We email you our proprietary 300-question Cole Mental Game of Sports
Assessment Tool (CMGSAT) as a PDF. You take the assessment, score
it and return it to us.
We review the assessment and then contact you to arrange your coaching
session. You then have a 60-minute personal coaching conversation
by phone or video with Bill Cole to review the assessment. Learn
more about the CMGSAT
Assessment and Coaching Package or order
Coaching Services for Organizations And Professionals
The standard hourly coaching rate for one person in professional sports, corporate, governmental, academic, military or other organizational entities is $275, with some potential adjustments, based on a quote as part of a custom volume package, and for example, when we include speaking, training and consulting. For coaching sessions outside our offices, for sessions with more than one person, and for coaching with organizations, whether in person, or by distance, additional coaching fees and travel fees apply. We also offer two discounted packages, one with five hours and one with ten hours.
Order the Coaching Services for Organizations.
Traction-To-Action Amateur Athlete Sport Psychology Coaching Discount Starter Package
Our discounted coaching fees for amateur athletes are $125 an hour, but as a new client, we want to give you a further discount. Choose the Traction-To-Action Starter Amateur Athlete Package and take off $75 over three hours of coaching. You pay only $300 for 13 helpful features to boost your confidence, over three valuable hours of coaching with Bill Cole.
Please note that these amateur athlete discounted coaching fees are applicable only to telephone or video sessions, and for sessions in our offices in Palo Alto, California. Amateur athlete coaching rates are not applicable to professional athletes or coaches. Professional athletes and coaches would pay the $275 per hour professional-organizational rate, even if they are not connected with a team, league or organization. For coaching sessions out of our offices an additional coaching surcharge and travel fees will be added. Please contact us for a custom quote. Fees shown here are for one individual in a one-on-one coaching session. For group or team sessions, or for additional people in the same family, extra fees will apply. Please contact us for a custom quote.
Order the Traction-To-Action Discount Starter Package for Amateur Athletes.
services (with discounts for 4-hr, 6-hr and 12-hr packages)
Our standard coaching fees for amateur athletes are $125 an hour.
Discounts are offered for ordering coaching for multiple hours:
Save $30 on the Coaching Four-Pack, save $60 on the Six-Pack,
and save $180 on the Twelve-Pack. Order Amateur
Sports Psychology Coaching services.
Term Paper Advice
You can hire Bill Cole as your personal guide to writing
a top-notch term paper about Sports Psychology, or for personalized
advice about a career in the field of sports psychology.
Sports Psychology Career Advice packages are available in
blocks of 1/2 hour, 1 hour and 3 hours. Order one of these
packages or learn more about
Sports Psychology Career and Term Paper Advice.
Special Sports Psychology
In addition to our basic Sports Psychology Coaching services,
any combination of the following special services can be included:
Additional Coaching Services
We also offer additional services including reviewing documents,
videos and audios and creating customized documents. Learn
more about these additional
Travel Expenses For Coaching
Learn about travel
expenses, other fees and payment arrangements.
Our Coaching Sessions Are Guaranteed
I guarantee the quality of our coaching sessions. I guarantee
to you that each coaching session will be of the highest quality,
and will give you the best cutting-edge content and success
strategies. However, I cannot predict, know, monitor or guarantee
what you will do with the lessons, insights and content learned
in these sessions. Therefore, when you use our coaching, materials
and products you are not guaranteed to improve learning, performance,
income, health, fitness or specific earnings. No one can guarantee
such outcomes because your results will depend on variables
and factors outside our control including, but not limited
to: your motivation, your diligence and discipline, your capabilities,
your creativity, your health and fitness, your compliance
with our recommendations and suggestions, and other factors
which neither party has control over.
I will ask you, many times in each coaching session, if things
make sense, and if you know how to practice and actually use
what we discuss, and what I teach you. At the end of each
coaching session, I will ask if that session met your expectations.
If you say yes, we will consider that session successful.
If you say no, I will spend additional time with you, at no
additional charge, at that time, or at a mutually convenient
time, to resolve your concerns. If I cannot resolve your concerns
at that time, I will refund all your monies paid for that
particular coaching session in question. If this coaching
session in question was part of a package, when you receive
a refund for that session, we will also refund the rest of
your unused coaching package monies. This will be prorated
per the package you purchased, not at the full non-package
hourly rate. Whenever you make the next coaching package payment
that is due or make a pay as you go payment, this indicates
that you are satisfied with the coaching up to that point,
and that you wish to continue the coaching program.
Our Coaching Is Confidential
Trust forms the core of the coaching relationship. We respect
what you say, and will not repeat your material to anyone
or to any entity. We maintain your confidentiality and privacy
in all communications and we maintain safe and secure written
records of your account. We do not disclose that you are a
client if you do not want that known.
Normally payments are made using the Credit Card or PayPal buttons in the blue boxes above. However, you can make a custom payment to William B. Cole Consultants by going to the page for making payments of any amount.
- Payment for services is due on or before the first day of services rendered.
- We accept cash, check, PayPal, electronic bank transfer and credit cards
issued by American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- We don't invoice, extend credit or accept insurance.
- Clients have the option of paying the standard hourly rate or availing
themselves of various discount packages.
- Package prices are based on payments made prior to, or at the time of the
- Purchase of a package is not valid retroactively, after a coaching session
has been concluded.
- Normally payments are made using the Credit Card or PayPal buttons on our
web site. However, coaching services payments may be made in installments,
by special arrangement. Please contact us for details. To make an installment
payment or to make another payment to William B. Cole Consultants, go to the
page for making payments of any amount.
- Checks returned by the bank for insufficient funds will be subject to a
$20.00 collection fee and a $20.00 insufficient funds fee.
- To prevent fraud, refunds are not allowed by means other than the same credit
card or PayPal account used to make the original charge.
Please read and be aware of these polices that help us all make the coaching and consulting program run more smoothly.
- Actual Session Time Versus Scheduled Time
The time we count off of the package you purchase is the actual time we do in a coaching session, not the scheduled time, because sometimes those two vary. Sometimes we go over, and that extra time is counted. If we go under, we accurately record that reduced time also.
- 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Please note that we require a 24-hour cancellation
notice should you need to cancel or reschedule a coaching session. Canceling
or rescheduling a training session, seminar, workshop or keynote requires
much earlier notice, with different policies. For those events, please consult
our contract for that event. We prefer not to charge for late canceled or
no-show appointments, but repeated or egregious late cancellations or no-show
appointments will be charged the full hourly rate of that missed session.
If you need to reschedule, that is never a problem as long as you give us
this full day advance notice so we can offer your time to another client.
We are usually booked out two weeks or more in advance for coaching sessions,
so the earlier you know your schedule, the easier it is to schedule you in
any future slots should you need to reschedule.
- Potential Variable Coaching Session Lengths
Our coaching time slots, once agreed to, are firm. We require 24-hour notice to change or cancel a session. However, for younger children who may have a hard time concentrating in longer coaching sessions, we may, from time to time, decide during the session to shorten the session to accommodate the child. Accordingly, we would simply note the shorter time in your package. You would then have a credit for the unused time.
Coaching appointments are always made for a specific time length, and then both of us can predictably expect to begin the session and complete it at that specified time length. If just before or during a session a client announces that they want less time than we agreed to, and if this time reduction is rather minimal, that's fine. But if this is a large departure from the scheduled time that creates gaps in our schedule where we could have offered that time to other clients, this could be an issue. Please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice if you want to change the time length of a coaching session.
Please read and be aware of these polices that help us all make the coaching and consulting program run more smoothly.
- Recording Coaching Sessions
I strongly suggest that clients make every attempt to audio record our coaching sessions. You can use an extra cell phone or other device to record if your computer is unable to record. If we use Zoom, and you are using a computer, you should be able to record. Please test this in advance. If you are using a tablet or phone, for some reason having to do with Zoom, recording rarely seems to work. In our office, you can use your cell phone to record. I will be giving you very precise, specific phrases and words, procedures and strategies you'll want to capture so you can complete your homework. I take my own notes in shorthand, but I don't send them out, so I suggest you take written notes as back up for yourself. If you record our sessions, parents will have an easy, reliable and archived way to know what we did in the session. This saves time for everyone. All homework assignments will be found in the audio recordings. I do not assign homework to students after class.
- Updating Parents On Their Child's Progress
We are happy to provide parents a brief update on a child's progress from time to time. This is best done at the start or end of a scheduled class, to save everyone time, and for efficiency. Any extended time spent speaking with parents outside of "officially scheduled class" is a consult, and this time also counts as part of the package you purchase. This is also true for coach consultations. Any time spent speaking to or emailing coaches (beyond brief replies) outside of "officially scheduled class" counts as part of the package you purchase.
I do a large number of "parents only" and "coach only" consults and when you desire that sort of meeting, please let me know and we can arrange that. They are extremely helpful sessions where I give you strategies to help your child become more motivated, more compliant with their homework, practice and training, and to become more accountable and responsible for the success of their sport experience. I also help parents learn how to be better sport parents.
Some parents or coaches ask for a detailed summary of sessions with their child by email. I can do that, but aside from a brief summary, any time past that of course takes time, and this extra time also would be counted as part of the package you purchase. Certainly, requests for detailed class summaries are better met by scheduling a dedicated parent or coach consult. Since I strongly encourage students to audio record our coaching sessions, a full accounting of session material, including homework, will be found there.
I know that parents want their child to learn the skills of independent thought, accepting responsibility, and taking ownership of their sport. I strive to foster all of these in our coaching sessions. This also reduces pressure on parents to have to micromanage the child in their sport. I always update parents if there might be any potential issues parents would need to know. I do that immediately with a quick email or phone call.
- Homework Policies
I assign homework in all coaching sessions and expect students to complete the homework by the next class. In each class I ask students to show me their homework and I evaluate how well they performed on it. Before we end a class I make sure each student not only understands the homework to be done, but that they know how it is to be done, and the benefits from doing it. I have students write down their homework tasks as we go through the coaching session. If homework involves actual mental exercises I have the child demonstrate these before we conclude class. If students forget the homework tasks, they can easily consult the class audio recording.
Homework is usually a combination of experiential activities, exploratory activities, reading and ongoing practice of mental skills. Mental skills should be practiced daily, and these procedures are outlined in the PDF included with the two books sent by email before our first class.
I encourage all students to keep a dedicated mental training notebook and to write in it as we go through each class, as well as outside of class. They should keep a dedicated section with a running list of questions that come up through the week. Students can ask these questions in class. This is one way we customize each class to each student's curiosity. I always have a plan for each class, but I also always ask students what they want to cover at the start of each class.
We will cover between 4-10 or more new mental techniques or action items in each class. As we do each one, I will name it, describe it, demonstrate it, and show you how to do it. You'll actually experience it. I'll show you how to practice it. You'll demonstrate it to me so I know you understand it. I'll show you how to use it in training, as well as in a competition, if appropriate. Your responsibility is to then take those techniques home and test them out, practice them, learn them and apply them in your practice sessions. Then when we next meet, I'll ask you how all that went. You'll give me a nice full report on each technique.
I may or may not have a specific handout on each technique we cover (we cover so many), so it's each student's responsibility to capture all the pertinent details in their notes as we go. I frequently ask you if you understand what we're doing many, many times throughout class. That is your opportunity to seek clarification. I strongly encourage students to audio record our coaching sessions. The fastest learners then listen to these recordings and sharpen their notes from them. When you record, nothing is lost, and we don't need to repeat things from a given session.
- How To Make Best Use Of Your Coaching Sessions: Client Responsibilities In This Mental Coaching Program
I want my students to make the very best use of their coaching sessions. Over my four decades of coaching I've made a study of noticing what the most successful students do. These folks get the most out of their coaching sessions and make the fastest progress. I've captured what they do in this checklist. Please read this and utilize as many of their strategies as you can.
Handouts And Copyright Policies
- Make a commitment to follow this mental training program for at least six months, regardless of how frequently we work together. That time frame gives the best results. Maintain realistic expectations about progress and results. Rarely do miracles happen overnight. You have to plant the seeds, do the hard work and then be patient. If your mental challenges have been long-standing, they'll generally take longer to resolve.
Take responsibility for the results you achieve in this program. The coach is your guide, but you will be doing the actual work.
- Make a decision to explore both your inner world and outer world. Be prepared to get to know yourself better at these levels: mental, emotional, behavioral, somatic, interpersonal and spiritual. Be action-focused, and make significant changes in your emotions, mind and behaviors. Take the mental lessons you learn and turn them into wisdom and action steps.
- Review your notes and audio recording from the prior coaching session. Organize your thoughts before the session. Create some quiet time to begin focusing in before we meet. Visualize how you’d like the session to go in advance. Come to each coaching session with your own plans and ideas for what you want to accomplish. I suggest you have a list of action items you want for the coaching session. Have a list of questions you want to ask me. Turn in your coaching call prep form before each session on time, one full day ahead. Be able to give a full report on the action items you agreed to do since the last session.
- Take notes and record the session. It's very important to be engaged that way. Actively contribute during the sessions. Ask for clarifications on any material you don't understand. Between sessions, reflect on the issues and methods we discuss in class. Complete all written assignments in a timely manner. Write in your mental training journal on a regular, preferably daily, basis.
- Be honest with yourself and with me, your coach. Openness and genuine self-exploration will give you huge results. Don’t hold back on anything you’d like to say in the session. Disclose your hunches, intuitions and gut sensations. Anything you sense is fair game to discuss in the session. If there is something you don’t like about your coaching sessions, or something you’d like to change, please feel free to speak to me about that anytime. I'm here to help you grow as an athlete, and as a person.
- Our coaching sessions are frequently used as practice sessions, in addition to what else we do together. However, you should schedule regular daily and weekly mental practice times on your own, and/or with practice mates. That's the only way to master the skills you learn in class with me. A one-time introduction to the concepts and skills in our sessions will not provide you with the opportunity to lock these in to your brain. You must do this on your own. Set aside a specific amount of time each week for this training. Practice the techniques and training methods so they become natural and automatic.
- We will spend less time in our sessions describing and reliving negative situations and their effects, and more time devising solutions to change them into success. Do your best to answer questions I pose to you with thoughtfulness and completeness. Take constructive criticism in a positive manner, and engage in healthy, non-defensive conversations about that material. Increase your insight about yourself as a person, and as a learner and performer. Keep in mind that a coaching session is not a therapy session or a counseling session.
- Talking is great, reflection is wonderful, self-awareness is fabulous, but taking action on all this is what counts in the end. Be prepared to convert this insightful self-knowledge into usable action steps. I'll help you do this. Switch gears between seeing the big picture and taking a concrete approach. Being stuck in just one is not desirable.
- Be ready sometimes to speak, sometimes to listen, sometimes to analyze, sometimes to synthesize. You will take on many roles in the course of a session. Sometimes we'll talk, and other times you'll be doing mental exercises where you remain silent. Give a fair test in trying out the techniques I suggest and report honestly on how they worked for you.
- If you maintain an open mind, you will hear and learn things you probably never quite heard before. As far as is possible, drop any preconceptions you may have about the coaching process, the coach, or the topic and simply experience it anew. If you remain insightful, remain open to change, and make significant behavioral adjustments to your life, you will succeed in big ways.
- Secure a health screening from a physician, should you have any limiting medical issues.
The written content we provide you is proprietary and copyrighted. Please don't share any of it with others. Never post it on line. The PDF books we send you at the outset of our engagement are at no extra charge. We will also send you various other written checklists, articles and assessments as we progress with your coaching. These are also proprietary and copyrighted. If we were to charge for each item like this, the cost would be at least $5-$10 each. The assessments we sell on our website cost a minimum of $150. This is a valuable extra set of resources we provide you, at no extra cost
Taking Notes In Coaching Sessions
I take limited notes in class, for myself, and they're in shorthand, so I don't send them to you or a parent or a coach after class. Therefore, I strongly suggest you take your own notes, even if you are recording the session. Sometimes recordings fail for technical reasons. I also suggest that parents not take notes in place of their child. A student who takes their own notes as they go is more engaged with the material and has better recall of the material. However, if you truly want me to send you my notes, I can do that. I would need to type them into email, and the cost for that would be whatever time the re-writing takes. We'd take that time off your package. I will only do this at your direction.
Note Taking And Coaching At Your Club Or School Training Sessions And Competitions
When I observe you in action at a practice or a competition I take notes and prefer to go over them with you at that time, at the venue, while things are still fresh. If we are unable to do so then, we will review them in our next coaching session. Perhaps we can do this by phone or video.
If we are unable to have a coaching session quickly, and you need these notes sooner, I can speak them into a text message and send them to you that way, if you have a phone that accepts texts. Alternatively, I can call your phone and read the notes into a voicemail so you have a recording of them you can play back whenever you want. My calling or texting like this is at no extra charge. However, it's impractical and time-consuming for me to type these notes, unless you want me to, but I can do that. The cost for re-typing the notes would be whatever time that this typing takes, unless it's a very brief time. If longer, we'd take that time off your package. I will only do this at your direction.
Coaching Policies When We Are Out Of Our Offices
Please read and be aware of our various policies for when we coach and consult with you when we are out of our offices. This makes everything more clear, easier and smoother for everyone.
- Coaching You At Your Competition
It can be quite valuable to see you under real-world competitive conditions. I've done this all over the world. However, here the actual real-time coaching would need to be limited, and I'd be operating in more of an observational role. That's because at an event, we don't want to introduce anything new, no matter how appropriate and helpful it is. New things cause mental disruption. You want to be on automatic pilot at a competition, not in thinking mode. There's no time to learn and install anything new in that environment. I can however, give you reminders of what we have already covered, and do things like visualization and relaxation skills, help you debrief matches and prepare mentally.
- Coaching You In A Training Session At Your Club Or School
This is a very valuable experience. I go to see people train in their sport all the time. Here I would actually make suggestions in real time, and take you through my mental training program, with a series of mental techniques. You'd have your training partner, team or coach drilling with you, and I'd observe, take notes and coach you in real time, or when you take breaks, or at the end of your session.
- Securing Permission From Your Coach Or Club For My Attendance
Please be aware that many clubs do not allow outside coaches and consultants who are not on their staff to conduct training sessions or to do coaching on their premises. So please inquire about such policies at your club and make the necessary advance arrangements with the club manager and your club coach. You may need direct permission for me to coach you, so please handle that on your end many days ahead of my coming to your club. Confirm with me in advance that you have done so.
- Coaching Time Versus Travel Time At The Training Or Competitive Venue
Please be aware that there are travel, incidental and coaching costs involved if I coach you outside of my offices.
My arrival at the venue you designate is defined as my actually coming into the part of the venue where you are practicing or competing. Some facilities are so large, with multiple buildings and levels that it takes some time to find parking, and to walk to find out where you are. So travel time covers all that, and coaching time begins when we meet at the venue. If you are competing, it can be highly disruptive for me to give you much new material and techniques, so it's best at that time to observe you, take notes, and to provide simple adjustments to your mental game. Later, when the event is over, we can go into deeper content.
If you are not sure if you will actually be competing that day, or if it is an outdoor event, subject to weather delays and cancellations, you are still expected to cover my coaching and travel time. Things beyond our control can make it a much shorter day than we expected, and under those circumstances you can have me leave as early as you want, so you can save money. If the event is canceled at the last minute due to weather, or if you become ill or injured, if an opponent defaults, or if other issues arise, there is no charge for anything if I've not started to travel. If I have started to travel, it depends on how far I've gone, and we can work that out on a case by case basis. Please call and or text me that day as soon as you know about the change in schedule so I don't travel needlessly. Please note that I do not have email on my phone.
Coaching time starts from when we meet at the venue to when I leave for my car, and all time in between. Then travel time begins. During the course of a day at an event, you and I may be conversing, I may be observing and taking notes, or we may need to go get some food. We may go off site. Regardless, I'm still on the coaching clock since you and I may be discussing the event and your game at any time. I'm always observing how you interact at an event and I'm making notes in my mind about everything. When I'm away from my office I can't conduct any business other than yours at that time. I'm focused on you 100%. When a client hires me to travel to a practice or competitive event I've been "taken me off the market" and I'm unable to coach anyone else at that time. So no matter what I'm doing at the event, even if we're waiting on a delay, or you're warming up, or whatever, I'm still on your clock. Coaching time is not based just on match time length. Of course, if you become injured or ill, if the match is rained out (if outdoors), or if the opponent defaults or retires and there is no match, the clock would stop when you decide to call it a day, and I leave the venue.
I can instead arrange a per diem (instead of an hourly rate) for you whereby you get my time for an entire day, regardless of time length, for one inclusive flat daily fee. This would include my travel time, any parking fees, transfer fees, club guest fees, my food and anything else, if known in advance. Please let me know and we can arrange that in advance.
Bill Cole, MS, MA, is an internationally recognized
expert on peak performance, coaching and the mental game.
He has coached at the highest levels of the Olympics, major-league
pro sports and big-time college athletics. His extensive background
includes a Bachelor of Science (with honors) in Sport Psychology
and post-graduate training in various fields. Learn more about
Bill Cole, The Mental Game Coach.