1. Media Testimonials For Bill Cole's Work
2. Bill Cole In The Media
3. Bill Cole In Hollywood
4. Bill Cole In Film
5. Creator Of The Mental Game TV Show
6. Creator Of The Mental Game Radio Show
7. Bill Cole In Other Authorsí Books
8. Author Of Hundreds Of Assessment Instruments
9. Author Of Books, Articles, Training Programs And Audio Programs
10. Bill Cole As Writer
11. Professional Speaker, Seminar Leader And Workshop Leader
12. Competitive Experiences As An Athlete: Amateur, College And Professional
13. Academic And Clinical Training In Psychology, Education, Sports Psychology, Counseling Psychology
14. The Mental Game Of Tennis Expert
15. The Mental Game Of Golf Expert
16. International And National Clientele
17. Bill Cole's Career As A Tennis Teaching Professional
18. Client Case Studies
19. Client Successes
20. Sports Psychology Coach For Baseball At #1 Ranked Stanford University
21. Founder And President Of The International Mental Game Coaching Association
22. International Coaching Experience
23. College Teaching Experience
24. NCAA Division I Head Coach
25. Honors And Awards
26. Mental Game Coaching Services Through William B. Cole Consultants
27. Professional Memberships
28. Bill's Websites
Bill Cole, MS, MA is one of the most prominent, prolific and successful performance psychology consultants working today. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, he maintains a global consultancy, traveling the world advising top performers. He is the mental game coach to top business people in sales and public speaking, interview skills, musicians and actors in Hollywood and military and police. He has been mental game coach or consultant to Olympic athletes who have won Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. He's coached thousands of recreational, junior high, high school, college, professional, world champion and world record-holding athletes.
Bill has been the mental game coach or sports psychology consultant with athletes or coaches of 19 world and national teams, nine international and Olympic teams, 32 professional sports teams, associations or leagues, and of athletes who have won 36 world and national championships. He has been the mental trainer for thousands of athletes in over 100 sports, at all ages and skill levels.
Bill has been a leader in the field of sport psychology for over 40 years, as a scholar, researcher, writer, teacher, coach, athlete, trainer, speaker and consultant. He is a thought leader and expert in the worlds of peak performance, coaching and the mental game. He was the first person in the world to earn an undergraduate degree in sports psychology, and is the Founder and President of the International Mental Game Coaching Association, which trains and certifies mental game coaches worldwide.
Bill is an internationally and nationally recognized authority on peak performance and coaching. An award-winning scholar-athlete, he has coached at the highest levels of Olympic, major-league pro sports and big-time college athletics. A multiple Hall-Of-Fame honoree as an athlete, coach and school alumnus, he is an in-the-trenches coach and consultant and is the creator and developer of many leading-edge workshops, seminars and training programs.
"Bill Cole is a leading Olympic sports psychologist."
British Broadcasting Corporation (The BBC)
"Bill Cole is a world-leading authority on sports psychology."
New Idea Magazine, Coleman-Rayner, LLC
"Bill Cole is a leading author on sports psychology."
"Bill Cole is a renowned sports psychologist and 'mental game coach' who helps athletes cope with the demands of intense competition."
"Bill Cole is one of the world's leading sports psychologists who has coached teams and individuals in over 85 sports in multiple countries, including US National dirt track champion Chris Carr."
MCN Sport, the leading motorcycle racing magazine
"Bill Cole is one of the leading performance psychology experts in the USA."
Blitz Magazine, Australasia's #1 Martial Arts magazine
"Bill Cole is an expert in the psychology of sport."
Metro International Magazine
"Bill Cole is a nationally recognized expert on the mindset of athletes and successful non-athletes."
In the book Growing Up Gronk: A Family's Story of Raising Champions, by author Jeff Schober
"A world-renowned peak performance coach."
"... an authority on sports psychology... He is one of the top peak performance coaches in the country...Bill's peak performance system helped us tremendously in our march to reach the finals of the College World Series."
Stanford University Baseball Team
"...one of the top peak performance coaches on the ATP Pro Tennis Tour."
Israeli Davis Cup Team
"Bill Cole is a leading authority on sports psychology and mental coaching."
Sports on Earth Magazine
"Bill Cole is the guru in sports psychology."
Shine Corporation, Australia
"Bill Cole is an authority on sports psychology, peak performance and mental toughness."
Varsity Views Magazine
"Bill Cole is a mind guru...he is among the elite mental game peak performance experts in this country."
American Society of Anesthesiologists
Links to more testimonials for sports psychology, and the mental game of tennis, golf, martial arts, baseball, badminton:
Mental Game of Sports testimonials
Mental Game of Tennis testimonials
Mental Game of Golf testimonials
Mental Game of Martial Arts testimonials
Mental Game of Baseball testimonials
Mental Game of Badminton testimonials
Bill Cole In The Media
Bill's imaginative, visionary work has been profiled thousands of times in both the electronic and print media, ranging from the Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, ABC-TV, Entrepreneur Magazine, Time Magazine, Sirius Radio, the Discovery channel, the Animal Planet TV Show, MSNBC.com, Success Magazine, HuffPost Live TV show, The BBC, KGO radio, KNBR radio, NBC TV, SB Nation, INC. magazine, New Yorker magazine, USA Today, WebMD magazine, TalkSPORT radio in London, England, Yahoo Health magazine, Prevention magazine, Foxnews.com, Tennis Magazine, Golf Magazine, Yahoo! Sports, Foxnews.com/health, Lance Armstrong website, Livestrong, Foxsports.com, CBSsports.com, SportsESPN.com, The Huffington Post, USA Today, Washington Times, The Star Herald, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, Star Tribune, Seattle Times, Vail Daily, South Bend Tribune, Global Post, Well + Good, NYC magazine, The Bleacher Report, US Referee Connection, Positively Magazine, Ehow, Runner's World, Shape Magazine, Physically Fit, Fitness Magazine, Inside Tennis Magazine, Inside Tennis\Racquets Newspaper, Inside Racquetball Magazine, Tennis Magazine of Holland, Tennis Magazine of Germany, Tennis Magazine of England, Tennis Magazine of Japan, Tennis Magazine of France, GlobalPost magazine, The Houston Chronicle, SBNation, The MMA Digest, The Coaching Edge, The Performance Menu, Women's Fitness magazine, Positively magazine, Chief Learning Officer magazine, The Coaching Edge, The Performance Menu, The Journal of Health & Athletic Excellence, The Washington Post, Corporate & Incentive Travel magazine, The San Francisco Examiner and Chronicle, The San Jose Mercury News, The Denver Post, The Detroit News, The Buffalo News, , Runner's World, Fitness Magazine, Presentations Magazine, Professional Speaker magazine, Professionally Speaking Magazine, California Job Journal, Corporate Training Magazine, American Society For Quality Newsletter, Riley Guide Careers Blog, Straights Times Newspaper (Singapore) and many more.
Learn more about Billís experience in the media.
Bill Cole In Hollywood
Media personality Bill Cole has developed, pitched and sold his ideas in Hollywood and has successfully worked in front of the camera, as well as behind it. His TV, radio or film credits include Creator, Writer, Producer, Consulting Producer, Founding Producer, Guest Expert and Host. His television hosting and radio hosting have taken him across the US. Bill is available for consultation and engagement in multiple roles for film, TV and radio projects.
Bill was the Consulting Producer on the documentary film The High: Making the Toughest Race on Earth, which was selected as a 'Finalist Best Feature' in the 2015 Trail Running Film Festival.
See Billís full credits in film, TV and radio
Bill Cole In Film
Bill has been involved with multiple film projects in Hollywood.
Bill was called to Hollywood to appear in front of the cameras for the big screen in the Hollywood film "The Hurt Business" starring Kevin Costner and many stars from the world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) , in the UFC, Bellator and other fight organizations.
Bill was asked about the psychological dimensions of the MMA phenomenon. Bill talked about the zone, the stress, why people choke, the pressures of being in the spotlight, how MMA fighters train their minds, how they handle setbacks and injuries and how they manage their career paths from a mental perspective.
The Hurt Business was created by the same producers of 'Bowling for Columbine', 'Fahrenheit 9/11' and 'Generation Iron'. The film examines the explosive trajectory of mixed martial arts fighting through the eyes of today's top stars, and recent past stars of the sport.
The film is narrated by Kevin Costner, and stars Bas Rutten, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Georges St-Pierre, Chuck Liddell, Kenny Florian, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, Bruce Buffer, Big John McCarthy, Urijah Faber, Rashad Evans, Josh Barnett and others.
The film analyzes the people involved in the world of MMA, looks at their personal lives, how they train, and gauges the mental and physical damage theyíve suffered. The film interviewed sports psychologists, neurologists and sociologists, and government officials for their insights. One conclusion is that fame in MMA is a very hard and unforgiving road.
See the Facebook page about The Hurt Business movie, or see the trailer from the film.
In the trailer Bill's voice can be heard at 1:11: "I get people crying in my office, thinking their life is over, because they've lost a really big match. I've even worried about a few people--suicide."
Bill Cole and Vlad Yudin, Director of the film documentary The Hurt Business, on location in Hollywood.
Bill Cole and Director Vlad Yudin after Bill appeared before the cameras.
Creator Of The Mental Game TV Show
In 2007, Bill and John Cole, brothers, decided to join forces and create a reality television show pilot, The Mental Game TV Show. The show's premise was based on thirty-plus years of Bill Cole's work as a successful mental game coach and John's twenty-four years of entertainment industry experience and relationships.
Thus, they co-created the television show pilots "The Mental Game".
The Mental Game TV pilots are innovative programs focusing on the mental game of sports, business and life. The shows focus on how people learn, perform and achieve greatness. Bill Cole, MS, MA, the show's host, co-creator and mental game coach says, "Paradoxically, the mind is the last frontier of study and control in anything we do. Top achievers and performers know that mind power is what separates them from the rest of the field and catapults them into the winner's circle. A strong mental game is the potent magic behind overcoming the inevitable mental and emotional obstacles that everyone faces in their quest for success in learning, performing and achieving". This interactive reality television show goes inside the 'mind' of virtually everyone in sports, business and life. A large percentage of casting focuses on how people think, access 'mental toughness' and how they overcome adversity.
Creator Of The Mental Game Radio Show
The Mental Game Radio Show combines entertaining, informative stories, solutions and insights about the world of peak performance. Host Bill Cole brings his thought-leading approaches and world-wide coaching and speaking background to every show. Guests include top authors and performers from the worlds of business, sports and the arts.
Bill Cole In Other Authorsí Books
Bill has been interviewed for numerous books and has written a book chapter on sports psychology for an Olympic Gold Medalist. Here are a few examples of where Bill has appeared in other people's books.
In 2009 Harper Collins Canada engaged Bill to write the chapter on mental training for the book Curl To Win, by the two-time world curling champion, and 2006 Olympic Gold Medalist Russ Howard, who was named "Curler of the Century" by Sweep magazine. Russ Howard has won every curling prize going. He's a record holder for an astonishing 107 Brier wins; a multiple World Championship winner; and a key member of Team Gushue, the gold medal-winning Canadian curling team at the 2006 Winter Olympics. Howard's legacy is further secured by his creation of the "Moncton Rule," which has dramatically changed the game.
In 2012 Bill was interviewed for the book Growing Up Gronk: A Family's Story of Raising Champions. Bill talked about the nature of sports achievement, how sports success is achieved through proper mental training, mental discipline, focus, mental toughness and motivation. His comments appeared in the chapter entitled Mental Toughness.
The book is about the amazing Gronkowski family, from Williamsville, New York, who has produced an incredible set of five athletes. Williamsville is also Bill's home town. Three play in the NFL: Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots. The most famous is Rob Gronkowski, who is on his way to NFL history. Another played major league baseball, and another is a Division 1 football player.
Learn more about Rob Gronkowski at Wikipedia
The authors are Gordon Gronkowski and Jeff Schober.
The publisher is Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. The book can be purchased on Amazon
An article of Bill's on sales ethics appeared in the book Selling ASAP: Art, Science, Agility, Performance by Eli Jones, Carl Stevens, and Larry Chonko
Bill's work appeared in these books, either from an interview or from Bill's writings on a wide array of subjects:
Fundamentals of Sport and Exercise Psychology
Peak Performance in the Legal Profession
In Praise of Failure: The Value of Overcoming Mistakes in Sports and in Life
Relations Writing Worktext: A Practical Guide for the Profession
DK Essential Managers: Effective Communication
The Interprofessional Practice Education in Clinical Settings: Toolkit
Kinesiology: The Science of Movement
Author Of Hundreds Of Assessment Instruments
Bill has created, authored and published hundreds of assessment instruments, tests and other psychological measurement devices. Bill Cole, MS, MA is a prolific developer of tests and measurements who has devised hundreds of such tools that have been used by people around the world.
Bill has been involved with educational testing, measurement and psychometrics since the early 70's. Since then he has had a special interest in creating tests that measure a variety of parameters, using such tools as surveys, assessments, tests, quizzes, questionnaires, skill tests, knowledge tests, and tests of attitudes. He creates, on average, more than a dozen tests each year. These tests have been developed and adapted for use in business, education, the arts, medicine and many specialized fields.
One of his best-known psychological assessments is The Cole Mental Game of Sports Assessment Tool (CMGSAT). This test has 300 items over 22 pages, organized into 30 sections of 10 questions each for a total of 300 questions.
He has created multiple specialized assessments in these areas:
- Sports psychology for athletes
- Sports psychology for coaches
- Sports psychology for parents
- Executive coaching
- Presentation skills
- Interview skills
- Sales skills
- Customer service skills
- Stress management
- Peak performance
- Test stress
- Life coaching
- Coaching skills for coaches
- Teaching skills, for teachers
- Mental fitness
Author Of Books, Articles, Training Programs And Audio Programs
Bill has been one of the most innovative writers and practitioners of the mental game of sports since the mid 1970's. He is a prolific author of books, articles, training manuals and audio products on sports psychology, peak performance, motivation, self-development, the paradox of success, mental toughness, team-building, leadership, achievement, mental training, coaching and other topics. In 1995 Bill co-authored the book, with Stephen J. Ginsky, entitled, The Corporate Athlete: Values And Practices Of Peak Performers In The Workplace.
Bill has written over 550 articles, assessment instruments and monographs. Yahoo Sports has said, "Bill Cole is a leading author on sports psychology."
Learn more about Billís books and audio programs.
Bill Cole As A Writer
Bill has written for television, film, radio, podcasts, industrials, public presentations, politicians, newspapers, magazines, marketing materials, for his clients and many other industries and applications. He was the Newsletter Editor of Professionally Speaking, the monthly print and electronic newsletter for the National Speakers Association of Northern California, and many other ezines.
He's been a regular columnist in newspapers and magazines. For many years he wrote a column on sales for Transaction World magazine. In the 80's Bill was the west coast correspondent for Inside Tennis magazine, traveling to all the pro events, and interviewed almost every tennis player of that era and beyond, including stars such as John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver, Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Andre Agassi, Mats Wilander, Jim Courier, Jimmy Arias, Stefan Edberg, Michael Chang, Steffi Graff, Virginia Wade, Martina Hingis, Andy Roddick, Ken Rosewall, Roy Emerson, Owen Davidson, Yannick Noah, Jose Higueras, Jose Luis Clerc, Guillermo Vilas, Johan Kriek, Roscoe Tanner and others.
Learn more about Billís consulting services.
Professional Speaker, Seminar Leader And Workshop Leader
A professional speaker, seminar leader and workshop leader for over 30 years, Bill Cole has spoken to a wide variety of audiences nationally and internationally. He's an engaging, warm speaker and master storyteller. He was a member of the Board Of Directors of The National Speakers Association (Northern California) for two years.
Learn more about Billís Speaking and Training services.
Competitive Experiences As An Athlete: Amateur, College And Professional
Bill played multiple competitive sports starting at age nine. As a kid, Bill was an All-Star Little-League baseball pitcher, and he also competed in football. Bill also played squash and racquetball at a very high level.
He competed at the national level in tennis and badminton, reaching the quarter-finals of the US Intercollegiate Badminton Doubles Championships. He played numerous competitive events in the US and Canada. He was a #1 high school tennis team player (undefeated in his junior and senior years) and #1 college tennis team player, won six Conference titles in college (three singles championships and three doubles championships), and was a finalist, semi-finalist and quarter-finalist in the New York State Intercollegiate Tennis Championships.
He played in hundreds of competitive tennis events over a career of 15 years. He was winner or finalist in 25 tennis tournaments and played professional tennis in the 1970's and 1980's. As Bill puts it, "I earned money as a pro, played some big name pros, played on television, and then realized I had to retire, because I ran out of talent."
In 1981, he posted a win over Steve Denton, who went on to become the fastest server (138 mph) in pro tennis history in 1984 and who won the US Open Doubles Championships in 1982. He played Sherwood Stewart, the #1 pro doubles tennis player in the world eyeball-to-eyeball in 1983 and lived to tell about it.
Bill was inducted into the Buffalo Tennis Hall of Fame and was a four-time college conference champion in tennis with career wins over a reigning US National Champion and also a future Wimbledon and Australian Open Doubles Champion. He played against 15 US National Champions, who won dozens of US National Championships, nine US Davis Cuppers and International Davis Cuppers, four Grand Slam Champions, who won 22 Grand Slams at Wimbledon, The US Open, The French and The Australian.
Bill Cole during his competitive years
Academic And Clinical Training In Psychology, Education, Sports Psychology, Counseling Psychology
Bill was the first person in the world to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport Psychology. He did this in 1978 from The State University Of New York at Buffalo. As an undergraduate, he was awarded the Albert Zeigler Award for academic excellence. As a graduating senior (Cum laude honors), he won the prestigious Clifford R. Furnas Award as a University Scholar-Athlete.
He holds a Master of Science in physical education with specialization in Sport Psychology from California State University-Fullerton (CSUF). He graduated CSUF in 1986, and, in his last year, was inducted into Psi Chi, The National Honor Society In Psychology. He holds a Master Of Arts In Counseling Psychology from Santa Clara University in northern California. Bill completed his first Masters degree under one of the pioneers in sport psychology and a top sport psychology consultant working in the world today, Dr. Ken Ravizza, author of the best-selling sports psychology book, Heads Up Baseball.
Bill has had additional college and graduate coursework from UC-Santa Cruz, John F. Kennedy University and the Western Graduate School Of Psychology in Palo Alto, California.
Bill took classes from or worked under a number of top people in the field of sport psychology, including Dr. Ken Ravizza, Dr. Ronald Witchey, Dr. Tom Tutko, Dr. Lars Eric Unestahl, and Dr. Jim Loehr. He has also received training and certification in clinical and medical hypnosis, sports hypnosis, and Neuro-linguistic programming.
Bill has had experience as a counselor at the college and high school levels, as a psychiatric recreation leader at a state mental hospital and as a psychotherapist in the outpatient division of a large mental health agency.
The Mental Game Of Tennis Expert
Bill's book, The Mental Game of Tennis, will be re-published, as a revised and updated edition, in 2017. This is the culmination of hundreds of interviews with world-class tennis pros, thousands of hours of coaching with players at all levels and countless hours of research into the sports psychology of tennis.
Bill has been the mental game coach to professional tennis players who have had wins over Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Andy Roddick and Michael Chang. Wimbledon, The US Open, and Davis Cup are just a few of the major international events at which he has coached. A two-sport athlete at the national level, and a former tennis professional, Bill was inducted into the Buffalo Tennis Hall Of Fame for his accomplishments as a player and coach. He is the author of the book The Mental Game of Tennis. Bill was the sport psychology advisor to the nationally-known pioneering Tennis Teaching "Tennis Tech" Program at Tyler College in Tyler, Texas for many years.
In the 80's Bill created, developed and presented the Zen Tennis High Performance Clinics. He also created, developed and presented The Concentration Clinic for tennis and The Concentration Clinic for golf.
Learn more about Billís Mental Game of Tennis program.
The Mental Game Of Golf Expert
Bill's book, The Mental Game of Golf, will be re-published, as a revised and updated edition, in 2017. Bill has been mental game coach to players who have achieved these milestones:
- Men's and Women's Professional PGA and LPGA Golf Tour
- United States Walker Cup Team member
- PING first-team college All-American honors
- Fifth place at NCAA College Golf Championships
- Top NORCAL High School and college competitors
- Second-Place winner of $40,000 on Nationwide Tour
- Two-time competitor in the World Golf Championships
- Competitor on Senior PGA Pro Tour
- Competitors at the World Junior Golf Championships
- Golfers on top golf teams in the NCAA
Bill was a sport psychology advisor to the Joe Theil Worldwide Golf Schools, in Olympia, Washington, Palm Springs, California, Seoul, Korea and Tokyo, Japan. He wrote their golf psychology curriculum and worked with their golfers at many levels of proficiency, including tour players. Joe is a top-50 Golf Magazine golf coach and master PGA Professional and Lead Instructor for Mizuno Golf. He coached the 1998 US Open Women's Champion, Se Ri Pak, and over 200 tour players, college players and high-ranking amateurs. In the 1980's Bill was the Golf Psychology Advisor to the Cal State Fullerton Men's Golf Program. Bill himself is a good golfer, with good swings, who does not get to play frequently enough, with all the speaking, training and coaching he does. He hopes the future brings more golf time.
Learn more about Billís Mental Game of Golf program, his e-report ďThe Mental Game of GolfĒ and book The Mental Game of Golf
International And National Clientele
He consults with athletes, parents and coaches from all around the United States and the world on a wide variety of issues in sport psychology. Clients speak to him regularly by video conference from Germany, England, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Mexico and many other countries. He has provided sports psychology coaching services for individuals and/or teams in over 100 sports, plus dance, music, bridge, poker and blackjack at the youth, amateur, high school, college, and professional levels.
He has been mental game coach to athletes or coaches on 19 US World Teams, US Olympic Teams and USA National Teams:
- United States Women's Olympic Volleyball Team
- United States Men's Olympic Diving Team
- Team USA-Men's Diving
- Team USA-Weightlifting
- Team USA-Baseball
- Team USA-Swimming
- Team USA-Muay Thai Kickboxing
- Team USA-Women's U23 Soccer Team
- Team USA-Women's U18 Soccer Team
- Team USA Cycling Team
- Team USA-Junior Boy's Olympic Fencing Team
- Team USA-Junior Girl's Olympic Fencing Team
- Team USA FIFA U-23 Women's Soccer World Cup Team
- Team USA Taekwondo Team-Junior
- Team USA U16 Junior Basketball Team
- Team USA Junior Squash Team
- Team USA Junior Tennis Team
- Team USA Junior Badminton Team
- Team USA and World Team in Airplane Gliding
His world-champion, world record-holder, national champion, number-one ranked clients (some current, some former) include:
- Four-time Muay Thai Kickboxing World Champion Miriam Nakamoto
- US National U18 Soccer Champion
- England's number one female mixed martial arts competitor
- US National Champion Bridge player
- Erik Weihenmayer, athlete and extreme adventurer, the
only blind person in history to climb to the top of Mount
- Four-time US National Champion tennis player
- Player on Stanford University National Champion Women's
- Multiple US National and International and World Champion
- Multiple number one ranked and National Champion boys
and girl table players in the United States
- National Champion in Youth Soccer
- NCAA National Champion Diver
- Number three-ranked girl chess player in the US, and member
of the US World Chess Team
- World record holder in distance adventure motorcycling
- Number three-ranked Girls 14 squash player in the US
- Three-time US National Girl's Fencing Champion
- Number four-ranked Boys 12 squash player in the US
- Three-time US National Boy's Fencing Champion
- Winner of the NCAA National Diving Championship
- US National Champion Olympic Woman Weightlifter
- Winner of the Pan American Championships in cycling
- US National speed record-holder in airplane gliding
- Number three pick in the women's soccer pro draft
- Number one ranked badminton player in the United States
- World championships competitor in Jiu Jitsu
- Number one ranked professional water skier in Mexico
- Player nominated for the ESPY Award for Best Female College
- Number one ranked man tennis player in Israel
- Winner of the Herman Trophy, for the top female soccer
player in the NCAA collegiate ranks
- Number one ranked woman tennis player in China
- Four-time World Champion paraplegic downhill ski racer
with 12 gold medals
- Winner of the AHRMA World and National Middle Weight Superbike
He has been mental coach to athletes or coaches on these six international, world and national teams:
- Canadian Olympic Curling Team
- Israeli Davis Cup Tennis Team
- Irish National Cricket Team
- Mexican National Water Ski Team
- Chinese Federation Cup Women's Tennis Team
- National World Cup Soccer Team of Mexico
He has been mental coach to athletes or coaches in these
31 professional associations, circuits or leagues:
- Major League Baseball (MLB)
- Minor League Baseball
- National Football League (NFL)
- Men's ATP Professional Tennis Association
- Challenger Professional Tennis Tour (ATP)
- Women's Professional Tennis Association (WTA)
- Women's Professional Tennis Circuit (ITF)
- United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA)
- Professional Motorcycle Racing-British Superbike Circuit
- US AMA Professional Motorcycling Road Racing Circuit
- Professional Adventure Motorcycle Racing Circuit
- National Thoroughbred Racing Association
- International Professional Water Skiing Circuit
- Professional Golfer's Association (PGA)
- Nationwide Tour (PGA)
- Ladies Professional Golfer's Association (LPGA)
- Futures Golf Tour (LPGA)
- Canadian Professional Golf Tour-Ladies
- Canadian Professional Golf Tour-Men
- Men's Professional Rodeo Rider's Association
- Women's Professional Rodeo Rider's Association
- Idaho Cowboy's Association
- Northwest Professional Rodeo Association
- Professional Poker Association
- International Bridge Association
- Bellator Mixed Martial Arts
- StrikeForce Mixed Martial Arts Association
- World Wrestling Federation (WWF)
- Xtreme Pro Wrestling (XPW)
- National Professional BMX Circuit
- International Professional BMX Circuit
- World Cricket League
Bill Cole's Career As A Tennis Teaching Professional
In his long career in the tennis industry, Bill held positions in virtually every imaginable aspect of the field. He taught at some of the world's most prestigious tennis clubs and resorts, including country clubs, international resorts, private tennis clubs, public facilities, colleges, camps, indoor clubs and university clubs. He founded and owned the Bill Cole Tennis School in Saratoga, California from 1984 until 2004.
Bill has been a leader in the tennis industry since the late 70's when he was the Co-Founder and Vice President of the Western New York Professional Tennis Teachers Association. In the early 1980ís Bill helped prepare Chinaís #1 woman pro, Hu Hna to compete on the pro circuit and to play an exhibition against Martina Navratilova.
In the 1980's Bill was a touring Coach on the National Junior Tournament Circuit. He was the Head Coach of the 1985 Northern California Boys 16 Intersectional Team that competed at the world Mecca of junior tennis, the Nationals at Kalamazoo. His junior players have gone on to achieve honors in collegiate play at Stanford, Duke, Georgia, UOP, Santa Clara, Indiana, Syracuse, Pepperdine and many other Division I schools.
In 1985 The United States Professional Tennis Association designated Bill Pro-1 after an extensive, rigorous testing protocol. This is the highest tested rating in the nation. Currently this title has been changed to the Elite Rating, which Bill still holds.
Bill was on the teaching staff and research staff of the Vic Braden World Headquarters in Coto De Caza, California in the early 1980's when Vic Braden was rated the second most visible celebrity in the tennis world. Arthur Ashe was #1.
In 1990 Bill was a founding member of the Intercollegiate Tennis Coaches Association (ITCA) Tennis Sport Psychology Committee.
Bill has played or conducted teaching clinics with famed professional players Steve Denton, Ilie Nastase, Tony Roche, Marty Reissen, Sherwood Stewart, Jimmy Arias, Luke Jensen, Scott Davis, Paul Annacone, Robert Van't Hoff, Jimmy Parker, Mati Timoninen, Rauno Suominin, Charley Hoeveler, Peter Burwash and others. Bill was a clinician for the Siebel Men's Senior Pro Tour, which featured John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors and other top stars.
Bill's tennis students have earned hundreds of rankings, honors and tournament titles in every conceivable age level and division in multiple sections across the United States and internationally. He has coached seven National Champions. Among Bill's client achievements:
- Over 20 National And International Championships.
- 11 California State Championships.
- 34 United States National Rankings.
- 22 Top-Ten United States National Rankings.
- 32 #1 USTA Sectional Rankings.
- 70 Top-Ten USTA Sectional Rankings.
- 148 USTA Sectional Rankings in the East, Texas, Southern
California and Northern California.
- Coaching a player in winning the "Senior US National Championships
Grand Slam", which was US National Mother-Daughter Championships
on all four surfacesógrass, hard court, clay and indoor.
Bill was Tennis Coach to the Hollywood Stars in the 70's and 80's, teaching celebrities such as Bill Cosby, Chevy Chase, Andy Williams, The Fifth Dimension, Olympic Gold Medalist ice skater Peggy Fleming, and Gladys Knight and The Pips and other luminaries.
Client Case Studies
Here are some examples of how Bill regularly works with his professional, international, national, state and local athletes, teams and coaches.
- Delivering daily mental sessions by Facetime with a Team
USA diver for two weeks as he was preparing for the Olympics
in London. He won Bronze.
- Preparing a top-ten US fencer to compete at the national
championships, by helping him trust his trained instincts
- Helping a ten-time US national champion diver qualify
for their second Olympic Team, by stopping their tendency
to over-think situations.
- Consulting to a current top-ten ranked ATP tennis professional
who has reached the finals of Wimbledon, on maintaining
the mental edge, in spite of being on the grinding tour
for many years.
- Consulting to the team of a current top-five ranked WTA
female tennis professional who has won Wimbledon two times,
on handling the pressures of expectations from the media,
sponsors and their national governing sports body.
- Spending multiple weeks on tour in Europe and the US coaching
professional athletes on their circuits.
- Coaching multiple college and professional golfers in
how to maintain life balance, stress control and poise under
pressure of tournament play.
- Coaching Erik Weihenmayer who is the world's number one
blind adventure athlete, and the only blind person to reach
the top of Mount Everest. Bill helped Erik improve his concentration
and mental strength.
- Daily 15-minute mental sessions by Facetime with Team
USA national champion in Olympic weightlifting and national
record-holder preparing for the 2016 world championships.
- Coaching the coach of a top five table tennis player at
the world championships to manage their emotions better.
- Mental coaching for players on the US Women's Olympic
Volleyball team, and the US National Women's Volleyball
Team, and various NCAA Division I College Volleyball Teams.
- Spending a week via Skype mentally preparing a diver on
Team USA who won bronze at the FINA Diving World Cup in
Brazil in February 2016.
- Sport psychology consulting to the two-time world curling
champion, and 2006 Olympic Gold Medalist Russ Howard, who
was named "Curler of the Century" by Sweep magazine, writing
the chapter on mental training for Russís book, Curl To
- Coaching professional golfers who have competed on both
the menís PGA Golf Tour and the womenís LPGA Golf Tour to
believe in themselves more and to have confidence.
- Providing mental coaching on attentional control to a
world-class bridge player who went on to make the US National
Team and win a national championship.
- Coaching England's number-one female mixed martial arts
competitor on handling pressure and to develop a pre-event
ritual and routine.
- Showing a female rock climber how to overcome fear, who
went on to win major championships.
- Helping a top national female college All-American soccer
player at Stanford University to overcome her fear of mistakes,
recover mentally, and stay on track in games.
- Counseling multiple athletes after a loss, helping them
to make sense of it, learn from it, and then release it
from their mind so they can move on.
- Helping a top national female swimmer manage negative
teammates who were actually trying to sabotage her, because
they were envious of her success.
- Coaching an NFL hopeful place kicker at the NFL Combine
to concentrate better under pressure. This kicker had been
on the winning Stanford University post-season Orange Bowl
- Coaching a professional calf-roper how to manage self-consciousness
in front of huge crowds at the World Championships Of Team
Roping in Las Vegas.
- Training the coach of the Irish National Cricket Team
in a comprehensive mental training program he used with
his team to break into the top tiers of the cricket world
for the first time ever.
- Helping the top-five female Cross-Fit athlete in the world
manage her motivation and energy levels in competition.
- Providing coaching for a member of US World Team in Gliding
and a US National speed record holder on avoiding choking.
- Providing mental coaching for a US National Champion in
Olympic Weightlifting, Aimee Anaya, on mental readiness,
using associative and dissociative strategies.
- Providing mental game coaching for multiple Muay Thai
Kickboxing World Champion Miriam Nakamoto (former client)
on getting psyched up.
- Providing mental game coaching to a member of the Mexican
National Soccer Team who was having problems with the coaching
- Using Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques with
a female gymnast to help her overcome a severe fear of being
- Helping a player in the FIFA Women's World Cup Soccer
Tournament overcome stage fright in front of the media.
- Consulting with a three-time US National Fencing Champion,
around coach communication and staying in the moment under
- Creating a comprehensive mental training program for the
number one ranked badminton player in the United States,
specifically around the will to win and killer instinct.
- Consulting services for a top five ranked male professional
motorcycle racer in the US, dealing with manager and agent
- Creating an extensive mental coaching program for a top
five ranked female professional motorcycle racer in Europe.
- Advising motorcycle racer Chris Carr, the top adventure
rider for Harley Davidson, winner of the AHRMA World and
National Middle Weight Superbike Motorcycle Championships,
and a world record-holder on life balance.
- Coaching a member of Under-20 US Women's National Soccer
Team on how to overcome the fear of losing.
- Being mental coach to the number one ranked professional
water skier in Mexico, helping him use visualization.
- Coaching a Major League Baseball (MLB) professional umpire
handle the stress of travel and energy management.
- Coaching a member of the Under 16 US National Basketball
Team on dealing with parental pressure.
- Coaching a member of the Mexican National Soccer Team
to deal better with mistakes in a game.
- Helping a recent #1 pick in the women's pro draft in soccer
transition from college to pros.
- Coaching a four-time world champion paraplegic downhill
ski racer, Sarah Will, with 12 gold medals, to use mental
- Creating a comprehensive mental training program for a
team of world-class competitors in Irish Dance.
- Helping multiple female athletes deal with bullies in
their sport, and how to find their own voice and become
- Advising professional athletes on how to capture momentum
and to avoid the traps of the lead.
- Coaching the entire pitching staff on the Stanford Baseball
Team, in their run-up to the finals of the College World
Series, and helping them deal with the intense pressure.
- Helping thousands of athletes with goal setting for practices,
lessons and competitions.
- Helping multiple gymnasts get past their fears on various
skills and tricks.
- Coaching college athletes to deal with a negative coach,
by improving listening skills and image management skills.
- Advising a member of the United States National Cycling
Team to change her pre-competition mental readiness rituals,
resulting in her winning the Gold Medal at the Pan American
Championships in downhill bicycling.
- Coaching a championship MMA professional fighter for Strike
Force to a major professional MMA championship, by helping
them handle the pressure of appearing on TV.
- Flying to Hollywood in 2014 to appear on camera as the
sport psychologist for the MMA documentary, The Hurt Game,
by Director Vlad Yudin.
- Coaching US Open competitors in Karate, Brazilian Ju Jitsu,
and other combatives forms to develop mental toughness to
handle mind games from fellow competitors.
- Providing a multi-year mental training program for a top
five-ranked junior squash player in the US.
- Coaching a US Open table tennis competitor on how to concentrate
under pressure, who went on to win three national championships
in three divisions in 2015.
- Coaching multiple top five-ranked junior tennis players
in the US on a wide range of issues such as how not to blow
leads, dealing with unfair and poor officiating, cheating
from opponents and handling the paradox of success.
- Showing top competitors in professional poker and blackjack
how to win using so-called "negative motivation", and to
stop self-limiting beliefs.
- Consulting with a former Olympian and nine-time US National
Champion who now coaches, on the mental challenges his team
- Delivering media training for professional athletes so
they feel confident in front of the cameras, microphones
and with print media.
- Advising parents of a national champion soccer player
about when their daughter should turn pro, and how to manage
that transition from a mental perspective.
- Counseling a national champion in how to successfully
overcome the "paradox of success", and the "one hit wonder
- Using sports hypnosis with a national champion Olympic
weightlifter, about to compete at the international world
trials to qualify for the US Olympic Team.
- Counseling an international athlete about her challenging
and negative teammate, and devising strategies to communicate
- Consulting with a physical therapist and trainer on the
psychological aspects of dealing with injured athletes.
- Advising parents of hundreds of athletes how to "back
off" and let their child take ownership of their sport,
leading to more self-accountability, and mature decision-making.
- Helping a professional water skier get past a mental block
about falling during a complex skill, and of how to manage
their expectations and others' expectations.
His clients have achieved sustainable successes at multiple levels. They have earned hundreds of rankings, ratings, honors and awards, including state championships, sectional championships, national championships, international professional championships and Olympic medals. They have achieved distinction as members of high school and college sports teams, and have won countless league and division championship titles.
Bill has provided sports psychology coaching and consulting in over 100 sports:
He has taught, coached and consulted with athletes, parents and coaches from the ages of six to 75. He's worked with beginners, junior-high, high school, college, amateur, elite, international, pro and Olympic athletes.
Sports Psychology Coach For Baseball At #1 Ranked Stanford University
A few years ago Bill was hired as the sports psychology coach for the Stanford University baseball team, and they were very grateful for his efforts and assistance there:
"Bill Cole is one of the top peak performance coaches in the country. He crafted a powerful mental game peak performance program for us, ranging from being a consultant to the coaching staff, a mental game advisor to individual players, and team mental game coach for group sessions. He has demonstrated to us why he is an authority on sports psychology. He has truly helped us get to the next level of performance. Bill's peak performance system helped us tremendously in our march to reach the finals of the College World Series."
Stanford University Baseball Team
Bill has been Mental Game Coach to numerous College All-Americans in multiple sports, including baseball players who have been drafted by seven major-league Baseball Teams Ė the Texas Rangers, the Atlanta Braves, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Oakland Athletics and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Bill provided sport psychology coaching for five Stanford collegiate baseball players who have captured professional baseball contracts with major league pro teams with an average contract salary and bonus of $800,000. One player achieved a signing bonus of $1 million.
Founder And President Of The International Mental Game Coaching Association
Bill is also the Founder and President of The International Mental Game Coaching Association (IMGCA), the leading worldwide organization dedicated to advancing the research, development, professionalism and growth of mental game coaching. In addition to IMGCA activities such as conducting Mental Game Certification training, he is the major contributor to the IMGCA website, which has valuable mental game information including hundreds of informative success articles for kids, parents, athletes and coaches. You can visit the IMGCA at: www.mentalgamecoaching.com
International Coaching Experience
The Israeli Davis Cup Team had Bill on staff for three years as their Sport Psychology Coach. They said, "Bill is a master mental game coach. He is one of the top peak performance coaches on the Pro Tennis Tour." When Bill worked closely with team #1 Harel Levy, Harel reached the finals of the Canadian Open, winning over $211,000 in one week. Bill started working with Harel when he was #278 in the world, and two years later, he achieved a world ranking of #30, and a seed at Wimbledon. In 2001 the team defeated Bulgaria to reach the final round in their section, the best result in Israeli Davis Cup history. They also had an important win over South Africa.
College Teaching Experience
For 15 years Bill was on the faculty of four colleges and universities across the U.S., as a teacher educator, master teacher, stress management specialist, human development specialist and physical education specialist. He taught tennis, squash, badminton, racquetball for general education class and also specialized in pedagogy for students majoring in human performance and physical education. He "taught future teachers how to teach". Starting as an undergraduate, Bill made presentations to state and local professional associations such as the New York State Association For Health, Physical Education and Recreation (NYSAHPER) and United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA). He holds a Lifetime Teaching Credential In Physical Education in California.
NCAA Division I Head Coach
As an NCAA Division I Head Coach at two west-coast universities (San Jose State and Cal-State Fullerton), Bill's teams competed against Stanford University, US-Berkeley, the University of Arizona, Arizona State, Pepperdine University, UC-Santa Barbara, UCLA, USC, San Diego State University, UC-San Diego, the University of Idaho, the University of Montana, Purdue University, Washington State University, Santa Clara University, The University of San Francisco and the University of Washington, and many other national and regional powerhouse collegiate teams. His Cal State Fullerton players were ranked as high as #3 in the Open division of Women's Doubles in southern California. He's coached two Junior College All-Americans. His San Jose State team reached a career high ranking of #8 in the NCAA Division I Volvo Tennis Northwest Region. Bill was Tournament Director of some of the largest NCTA tennis tournaments in northern California.
Honors And Awards
Bill Cole has received four Who's Who honors, two Hall of Fame honors, four academic awards, two website awards and numerous athletic awards.
- Who's Who in Professional Speaking
- International Who's Who of Professionals
- Who's Who in American Education
- Who's Who of Executives and Professionals
- Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology
- The Albert Zeigler Award for Academic Excellence (as an
- Athlete Of The Week October 10, 1976 by The Spectrum,
the SUNY-Buffalo student newspaper, for winning the 1976
Big Four Conference #1 Singles Championships and Big Four
Conference #1 Doubles Championships. SUNY-Buffalo had an
enrollment of 30,000 students at the time.
- The Clifford R. Furnas University Scholar-Athlete Award
(as a graduating senior), which carried a stipend for graduate
- Winner of the 2003 Distinguished Alumni/Wall Of Fame Award
as an Outstanding Graduate of the Williamsville Central
- Inducted into the Buffalo, New York Tennis Hall of Fame
- Bill's website www.sportspsychologycoaching.com was awarded
"top 20 website" by Top20Sites.com as one of the top sports
psychology websites in the world. Press
- Bill's website www.sportspsychologycoaching.com was awarded
#8 in the "top 20 websites" by Top20Sites.com as one of
the top sports coaching websites in the world.
- Bill was the Consulting Producer on the documentary film
The High: Making the Toughest Race on Earth,
which was selected as a 'Finalist Best Feature' in the 2015
Trail Running Film Festival.
Mental Game Coaching Services Through William B. Cole Consultants
Bill Cole founded William B. Cole Consultants in 1997, a company that offers coaching, training and speaking services in a broad range of fields. In addition to his sports psychology and coaching experience, his multifaceted career has taken him into the worlds of psychotherapy, education, business, politics, journalism, writing, music, the media and entertainment.
Mr. Cole conducts mental game coaching and training for individuals, small groups, teams, associations and businesses. See the William B. Cole Consultants website for information on fees, programs, availability and online assessments.
The valuable 65-question assessment tool is also offered through this website, at no charge to assist you in determining what is getting in the way of your performing to your full potential in your sport. It will help you discover your strengths and weaknesses and provide you with a quick overview of where you stand with your mental game. Score yourself in this free online assessment.
Nine Ways Bill Helps Clients
- Executive Coaching
- Interview Coaching
- Sales Coaching
- Media & Presentation Coaching
- Stress Management Coaching
- Test Anxiety Peak Performance Coaching
- Sport Psychology Coaching
- Speaking & Training
Learn more at MentalGameCoach.com
- The International Society of Sports Psychology
- The International Mental Game Coaching Association (Founder
- The International Society of Mental Training and Excellence
- The International Stress Management Association
- The United States Professional Tennis Association
- The American College of Sports Medicine
|"Winning is a state of mind. Now go create that state of mind."
Bill Cole MS, MA
The Mental Game Coach
Bill Cole (center) pictured with Lior Mor (left) and Harel
Levy (right), members of the Israeli Davis Cup Team. Bill
was the Sport Psychology Coach for the team from 1999 to 2001.
Harel had just defeated the legendary Michael Chang in the
California Open to reach the finals. Harel went on to be ranked
as high as #30 in the world, with wins over many of the biggest
names in tennis: Pete Sampras, Marat Safin, Andy Roddick,
Gustavo Kuerten and Tim Henman.